Today’s Daily Tip
Epsom salt, named after a saline spring at Epsom in Surrey, England, is a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of Magnesium and Sulfate. Long known as a natural remedy for a number of ailments, Epsom salt has numerous health benefits as well as many beauty, household and gardening-related uses. Magnesium and Sulfate are both readily absorbed through the skin, making Epsom salt baths an easy and ideal way to enjoy the amazing health benefits they provide. Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body such as reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function and helping to prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins and help ease migraine headaches. When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient and exfoliator.
Epson salt, apart from being a a miracle cure-all, can be used on the face and body, on your hair, or in the garden.
So here’s what you can do with Epson Salts:
1. Relaxing in a Epsom Salts bath (2 cups to a full tub) is highly beneficial at many different levels:
– For the whole body: considerable amounts of magnesium and sulphate, health boosting components are easily absorbed through the skin in a bath, thus relieving headaches, stress, tension, depression and anxiety
– for the feet: soothe aches, remove odours and soften rough skin.
– for sprains and bruises: Epsom salt will reduce the swelling of sprains and bruises.
– skin scrub – during the bath, stand and rub an extra handful of Epsom Salt all over the body. Insist on elbows, knees, and heels. Add a little olive oil in the scrub mix if you have dry skin. Continue the soak.
Ideally you, wouldn’t use any bubble bath, soap or anything else during the Epsom Salt bath soak. Simply get out of it with just a quick rinse. Feel well and calm and sleep like a good baby afterwards.
2. For the face:
- Homemade skin mask: add a little Epsom salt to your regular face mask, whether is store bought or home made. My homemade face mask is easy, quick and works wonders on my skin: mix a teaspoon of Epson Salt, two teaspoons of oats in a half a cup of hot milk. When the oats absorb all the milk, the mask is ready to go on the face for as 10 minutes or more. Rinse and shine!
3. For the hair:
Make a hair spray to add shine and elasticity to the hair. Simply dissolve Epsom Salt in warm water, add a few drops of your favourite essential oil, put it in an atomizer and spray it on the hair. The same spray will relieve itching from insect bites, eczema and dry skin conditions.
4. Gardening and house Plants:
Help house and garden plants grow healthy by dissolving a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt in the watering can. Roses, Peppers and Tomatoes are thriving on the magnesium provided by this special feed.
Sprinkle Epsom salt crystals around your lettuces and other vegetables, to deter slugs. And the grass will be greener when you’ll be watering it with an Epson Salt mix.
5. Priceless Gift Idea:
Last but not least, why not mix salt and food coloring, fill a jar with it, add a pretty label and a fancy lid and gift it to your best friend. That will be a personal and well received gift of wellness.
That’s all I know about Epsom salts. What would you do with a big bag of Walgreens Epsom Salt 3 lb (1.36 kg)?