Some weeks ago I made some strawberry jam and syrup. I didn’t chop or mash the strawberries for the jam because I like them whole – so I shall call it strawberry preserve really. The jam or preserve makes a great topping for this cheesecake recipe and is very accessible: straight out of the jar. This recipe doesn’t require baking and it’s very easy to put together.
It’s delicious served cold with a topping of your choice.
- To make this cheesecake you will need:
- 2 cups of crushed digestive biscuits plus a handful of crushed nuts : almonds, hazelnuts or wall nuts are the best;
- 1 block (half a cup) of butter at room temperature;
- a cup of cream cheese (Philadelphia cream cheese or any other unflavored cream cheese);
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence;
- a cup of double cream;
- 1/2 cup of sugar;
- 1 tbs of cornflour dissolved in 1/4 cup of cold milk;
- a cup of jam of your choice. Alternatively, you can use a cup of fresh or frozen strawberries topped with freshly made jelly.
1st layer: Mix butter, crushed digestive biscuits and nuts until all the crumbs stick together. Tip the mixture into a suitable dish and gently press them with the back of a spoon. Put the dish in the fridge while you make the cheese layer.
2nd layer: Place a small pan on the hob at a low heat setting. Pour in the double cream, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and the milk and cornflour mixture. Bring it to a gentle boil stirring slowly and continuously. When it starts to thicken, remove from the heat ant let it rest for 5 minutes. It’s ready. Take the 1st layer out of the fridge and pour the 2nd layer on top. Level it. Place in int fridge for at least 10 minutes.
3rd layer is versatile: Spread the jam of your choice on the cooled cheesecake or, if you’ll serve it immediately, simply soft fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) arranged on top will suffice.
So the 3rd layer can be anything, really. What will you use? Use the comment form if you care to share your ideas or to link to your related recipes.
More recipes from Ally
PS. If you like cakes but don’t have time to make them, get them home made to perfection and delivered to your door: Cakes and Deserts: No baking or cooking needed. Bon appetite!